curlyquotes, character sets, livecode, and english

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:30:04 EDT 2013

I can't believe that this one flummoxed me as long as it did.

SQLite, like the honeybadger, just don't care . . .

I got hung up on a curlyquote.

I'll definitely have people pasting in from whatever sources, possibly the
wrong one for the platform (ever read from mac or unix a web page written
by someone who thinks that MS word is a standard?).

There is no possibility of my application ever being used in an application
other than English.

For that matter, there is no possibility of it being used in a non-US
country.

postgres chokes on character 213, as an illegal utf8.

The simple solution seems to be to filter any input based on the host OS,
turning it into utf8.

But what about the mac user who pastes from an ms data, or the ms who
pastes from a webpage.

Is there a "sane" way to turn english text into a single usable format?

I'd be tempted to go pure 7 bit ascii, but there's enough names with extra
characters it doesn't support to make this a non-starter.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462