Show/Hide Groups vs. Card Transitions on Mobile

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri May 17 16:23:03 EDT 2013

What do you want to know?

In theory, showing/hiding groups could perform better than doing a full
card transition because the region to be updated is smaller than the card.
 You may need to play with enabling or disabling accleratedRendering if
performance is poor.

Remember that you can also restrict card transitions to a defined rect,
which is key for any UI that includes fixed controls (i.e. navbar,
toolbar).  You don't want your fixed controls scrolling out of view during
a transition.  Unfortunately, we can't (yet?) combine multiple visual
effects to achieve the combination of scroll+dissolve that takes place on
iOS, and sometimes Android.  This is sorely needed to provide
native-looking user experience.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director