revOpenDatabase acting differently in IDE and standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 2 22:00:06 EDT 2013

On 5/2/13 8:19 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> I guess I'm a little surprised by that.  There was a thread in November
> last year about this and some pretty enlightened experts on this list
> indicated that the format of a standalone had changed within the last year
> and it was no longer possible (OK, it's always possible!) to get at the
> scripts within a standalone.  Maybe I misunderstood what was said in that
> thread.

The recent change was related to how standalones are built. It used to
be possible to extract the stack and open it in the IDE where an
unprotected stack could be examined. The new method prevents that.

It is not possible to read the scripts in a passworded standalone by
normal means. In a text editor everything is binary, and the standalone
itself can't be opened in the IDE.

There is one way to see the scripts, but it requires tools most people
don't have and a geek aptitude above the norm. And it can't be prevented
in any app.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com