Generating RSA pairs

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:38:38 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Igor de Oliveira Couto
<igor at semperuna.com>wrote:

> On 03/05/2013, at 3:30 AM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dr. Hawkins, while using online services like random.org may provide you
> with a higher level of randomness, it introduces the old problem of
> internet reliability. Chances are, that one day your program will need that
> random number, and the server (or the internet connection) will be down. It
> is always best to have at least some form of local seed generator as a
> backup.

That's a good point.

However, I only need a random number once ever per customer; it's to
encrypt their license keys & privileges.

I could stockpile a couple of hundred random numbers for later use . . .

:)

The issue is how to turn the random number, from whatever source, into an
RSA pair.  I didn't see any way from the openssl man page to feed it a
random number; it seems to rely on the system.

This part only needs to run under unix; there isn't a chance that I'd be
running a server under windows . . . (my son in law is less than pleased
that I won't even allow windows machines on my home network . . .)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462