Returns Don't Return?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Mar 7 00:29:18 EST 2013

I have a stack that generates a return-delimited list of files in a folder
and writes the list to a simple text file.
put theFileList into url ("file:" & dropBoxFolder() & "flist.txt")

When I retrieve this file within LiveCode, it ignores the returns and places
all entries in a single line.  If I open the text file in a text editor, the
lines are displayed properly.  I tried resaving the file from the text
editor, but LiveCode still ignores the returns unless I explicitly return
each line by hand in the text editor.

I tried using all the return forms: return, cr, crlf, with no difference.

Now, if I write the file list using "binfile", LiveCode is then able to read
the returns correctly.  Why is this?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director