Two Windows

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Sun Mar 3 01:28:43 EST 2013

On Mar 2, 2013, at 4:19 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/13 5:59 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
>> one can create a copy of Livecode and run each version (name it Livecode B
>> or something) in a different space, yet cut and paste between.   No name
>> space conflicts this way!
>
> I do that all the time, only my second copy is using the MetaCard IDE. I keep both open routinely. It works fine. Sometimes I also have LiveCode 5.0.2 running for legacy reasons. And if I'm trying out the latest pre-release, sometimes I have four copies of the engine running.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sad to say, I'm lost now. (I'm moderately competent in my own occupation, believe it or not. Not this one..)

Do you mean to say I can have the same stack open in two copies of LiveCode, resulting in two windows? Are two copies of the same version of LiveCode okay?

This sounds wrong, but who am I to say? I assumed I would get a "file in use" error if I tried to open the same stack with a second copy of LiveCode.

Let's say I go to card 10 in one window, go to card 20 in the other window. I cut some text from a field on card 10, bring the other window to the top, paste the text into a field on card 20…

This will work? The cut stays cut, the paste stays pasted? No problems? I don't end up with two copies of the same stack?

I'm not sure how I'd save, but I guess I could figure it out by trial and error.

Have I understood correctly?

Tim