to find the first numeric line?

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 23:45:19 EST 2013

Just so, and his data was alphanumeric. After sorting, he wanted to find the first line that had a digit as char 1. Since alpha sorts before numbers, he wanted to find the line number where a transition, for example, might have been:

a1
a2
1a --this line
1b

The old fashioned way may have been the best, especially with "repeat for each..."

Craig Newman