More about audio-video

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 16:57:11 EST 2013

Yes, exactly. Anyone who doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive and bundled DVD-Video software, or gone to the trouble of installing MPEG-2 playback by some other means, would end up having to install something. QuickTime is probably the easiest thing to require, because of the millions of users who have iTunes installed, all of them have QuickTime already.

Other tools are able to play video files without an extra install, Director and Flash for example can both natively play H.264, without requiring QuickTime or any other system software to be installed. Maybe LiveCode will one day too. For now, as I mentioned, you can play a Flash swf in a revBrowser, and that can play HD H.264 files for you. But I suspect that doing random access of the video won't be as easy as it is in Director or Flash.