Portable apps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 11 09:17:21 EST 2013

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 1/10/13 10:17 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:
>> InfoWallet works this way.
>
> Well, I snipped your excellent response but it was extremely valuable
> info. Thanks so much. I am not keen on figuring out code signing but
> maybe it will get easier by the time I get that far. Or maybe we'll get
> a walkthrough by then.

InfoWallet is worth checking out for many reasons.  It's not only a very
solid example of a portable app, but well-crafted and thoroughly tested.
  Bill's demoed it at various stages of its development at our local
LiveCode User Group meetings, and it's been great to see it progress to
the polished work it's become.

One of the great things about LiveCode is that portable apps are easy,
since our stuff is generally more self-contained that apps made with
Tookbook, VB, or other systems that often rely on having DLL's strewn
all over the hard drive.

While most Mac apps are generally self-contained, this is rarely the
case on Windows or Linux.  Being able to have everything an app needs in
one folder on any mounted volume - such as a thumb drive - is considered
exotic for many devs, but for us LiveCoders it's just how we roll. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World