Shoutout to Colin

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 15:14:22 EST 2013

These arguments seem to assume that there is an individual author of a work. This is often true for books, but it isn't for lots of other things, including CD-ROMs. We have to include the idea that the 'author' is actually a commercial entity, like a publishing company and that there is really no individual author. For example, although Colin programmed some great CD-ROMs, was he the author in any sense? Does he still retain any copyright, or did he sign it away? What about the rest of the team that made any particular CD-ROM? I think reversion of copyrights can get pretty messy in these real-world situations.

In the revival I'm trying to do, I'm just trying to get the original publisher to agree that I can use the content of their original CD-ROM while they retain all the rights which they so painfully negotiated a couple of decades ago: I then become just the latest member of the original creation team on whatever commercial terms I can get. My USP to them is that they are taking pretty well zero risk in allowing me to do this.

Graham