Open Source Question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 27 10:58:29 EST 2013

Richmond wrote:
> Is it alright to use closed source and/or commercial software to produce
> components used in Open Source software, for instance:
>
> 1. I produce something using the Livecode Open Source variant, but use
> Adobe Photoshop to produce all the graphics.

Graphics aren't bound to the executable code, so there's no conflict
with the GPL.

That said, GIMP is a wonderfully capable tool, and with it's new
single-window UI is easy to work with and more than adequate for most needs.

> 2. I include a substack in my Livecode OS-authored standalone that was
> made using the commercial variant.

The GPL-governed Community Edition enforces its GPL requirements by not
being able to run stacks made with the Commercial Edition.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems