Another Hardrive went down!

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 12:05:03 EST 2013

Damn, I just had another Hard drive crash and burn. That's One computer and my two 'oldest' WD hard drives in two months. I will never buy another WD drive again. Period.

What I lost was my 'daily' time machine backups this time. I had already just added a second new HD to the time machine setup when I got the new computer so I do have daily BU's since then but all the older ones are gone. Damn.

Now this is why I also use Carbon Copy Clone since I like to separately back up my work folders on four drives AND still have a different Time Machine back up as well. I still have my CCC BU's the only thing I lost was my older monthly backups.
Additionally I copy once a week by hand to a portable drive that I take with me offsite.

I'm down to this setup now:
One 1T HD that takes a Time Machine backup plus CCC backups - Full BU plus the two externals alternate every hour for daily BU's.
One 2T HD that alternated Time Machine BU's plus CCC backups. - Full BU plus the two externals alternate every hour for daily BU's.
One external Portable HD that has my Work folder and important documents backed up weekly - to take off site.
Dropbox for my Work folder and important documents. - backed up daily to my Portable
Google Drive for my Work folder and important documents. - backed up daily to my Portable

I lost:
WD drive 500 - was my Work and documents BU as well as some CCC BUs
WD drive 1T - was my dedicated Time Machine backup - nothing else. This is the one that just Crashed and Burned.

and of course I lost my Laptop which still runs but makes some really loud noises so I don't turn it on.

I need to get another HD to dedicate to my Daily TM backups.

Damn is all I got to say.

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
mcgrath3 at mac.com