compatability of rev stacks and livecode stacks in a standalone?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Feb 5 13:34:15 EST 2013

On 2/5/13 12:16 PM, Richmond wrote:

> As far as I recall RunRev/Livecode, aprt from going through a name
> change, has gone through 2 stack format changes since 2.8
>
> (maybe the first stack format change was pre 2.8 - honestly cannot
> remember, and I'm sure there are lots of folks here on the
> use-list who will leap in to correct me - "putting Richmond straight"
> being a sort of ongoing hobby round these parts; not that I mind, having
> an ego almost as big as yours)

One of my favorite hobbies. :) The stack file format changed at 2.7, and
again at 5.5. There was no 5.2 release, so I have to assume he means
5.5. And yes, those stacks can't be opened by the 2.8 engine.

> No: the RunRev 2.8 engine will NOT recognise Livecode stacks for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. the suffix of Livecode stacks is .livecode and not .rev.

The suffix doesn't matter. You can invent your own, use .mc, .rev or
.livecode or anything else. The engine ignores the file name and looks
at the stack file format.

> 2. The stack format has been changed.

Right, that's the reason.

> Dig all of your stacks out of the custom prop, save them in the latest
> stack format, push them back inside the custom prop, run off a new
> standalone and, fingers crossed . . .

That would work. Or just recompiling the standalone in 5.5 would also
work. The new engine can open older stacks all the way back to version 1.0.

> [Isn't that just a lovely word: 'suffixation' ?]

Makes me gasp for breath. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com