compatability of rev stacks and livecode stacks in a standalone?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:16:42 EST 2013

On 02/05/2013 07:09 PM, Lars Brehmer wrote:
> I have an app which is a splash screen that contains all of the real program stacks compressed as custom properties. When the standalone is launched the first time, it creates a folder, open decompressed those stacks and saves them into that folder. From that point on, launching the standalone opens those stacks and the app runs. Pretty standard stuff I assume.

Ha, flipping-well, ha!

you know full well that having program stacks compressed as custom
properties is most definitely NOT "pretty standard stuff", and you are
'trailing your coat' like nobody's business.

Mind you, if you have managed that you deserve a lot of kudos!

>  From this point on when the app is launched it looks for an update on my website before the main stack is launched. If there is an update, it is a stack that contains the new main stack again as a compressed custom property, opens it decompressed and saves it into that folder, replacing the older stack. So far so good. It has always worked.
>
> The original app was done in runRev 2.8.

'done'; surely 'made' is the better verb in this case?

> I have since upgraded to liveCode 5.2 and redone the app completely- splash screen, compressed stacks etc.
>
> But the updater doesn't work anymore and I think is because of the older runRev 2.8 stacks. In the rev 2.8 IDE it doesn't work. The update script errors out the moment a newer liveCode stack is referred to. This updater stack is a rev 2.8 stack, containing custom properties that are compressed liveCode stacks.

As far as I recall RunRev/Livecode, aprt from going through a name
change, has gone through 2 stack format changes since 2.8

(maybe the first stack format change was pre 2.8 - honestly cannot
remember, and I'm sure there are lots of folks here on the
use-list who will leap in to correct me - "putting Richmond straight"
being a sort of ongoing hobby round these parts; not that I mind, having
an ego almost as big as yours)

and that will throw a bih whammy in your system.

> If I open a copy of the rev 2.8 splash screen stack in liveCode, the update stack works perfectly. LiveCode recognizes and opens the rev 2.8 update stack, opens it and performs the update with the newer compressed liveCode stacks.
>
> But it doesn't work in the standalone. The updater stack crashes, presumably at the point where it should decompress and open the custom property stacks. Does this mean that the rev 2.8 standalone engine also doesn't recognize liveCode stacks?

No: the RunRev 2.8 engine will NOT recognise Livecode stacks for 2 reasons:

1. the suffix of Livecode stacks is .livecode and not .rev.

2. The stack format has been changed.

>   That seems logical to me, but if this is the case, is there any way around it?

Right; probably a daft idea, but, then again, maybe not . . .

Dig all of your stacks out of the custom prop, save them in the latest
stack format, push them back inside the custom prop, run off a new
standalone and, fingers crossed . . .

> This is way beyond my runRev & liveCode abilities and help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, my "runrev & liveCode abilities" are not vast, but it does seem
that all the stacks should be in the same format and have the same
suffixation.

[Isn't that just a lovely word: 'suffixation' ?]

> Cheers,
>
> Lars

Give us some feedback as to how this goes, please.

Richmond.