gcc lc and gpl

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:02:41 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Bert Shuler <bertshuler at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I write a program in c, and compile it with gcc, that does not require my new program to be
>gpl, even though gcc is, correct?

Partly.

gcc is actually one of many qgpl (quasi-gpl) licensed programs out
there.  Some did it by accident, others (such as gcc) included
explicit deviations from the gpl.

As gcc embeds some of its code into the executable, the GPL *would*
infect the result, but for the exclusions granted in the gcc license.

A livecode compile to a standalone would put significant amounts of
livecode code into the executable, and it would be subject to the
license of that code.

Compile the same stack with the commercial version, and even though
you used the gcc version to edit/develop, you haven't included it in
your output, and you have a GPL-free executable.
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462