MacToISO is still confusing me

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Sun Dec 22 15:52:15 EST 2013

On 22/12/2013 20:42, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I take it that in the example you give, one could directly display the contents of tVar to a user (by putting it into a field, for example), and that this would work cross-platform. That must be the aim, no?
That is exactly the aim. Different platforms use different encodings for
Unicode strings (UTF-16 on iOS, Windows and OSX; UTF-8 on Linux and
Android, IIRC) but this is handled by the engine and should not be
visible in any way to scripts. In fact, the encoding used by the engine
itself should also be invisible (as it could depend on the contents of
the string).

One thing we can't control is what fonts are installed on the various
devices but I'd be extremely surprised if you found something that
doesn't include the Greek alphabet. Some more obscure characters may not
display on all devices, unfortunately. In other words, I'm too much of
an engineer to give an unqualified answer, but the answer is "yes" ;)