MacToISO is still confusing me

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 15:40:56 EST 2013

On 22/12/13 22:13, Fraser Gordon wrote:
> On 21/12/2013 22:48, Graham Samuel wrote:
>>   put MacToISO(numToChar(185))
>>
>> you don't get a pi symbol. This is not a good start.
>>
> Hi Graham,
>
> I know this isn't much use to you at the moment, but we're hard at work
> adding "proper" Unicode support to the LiveCode engine. One of the
> functions that has been implemented in doing this is numToUnicodeChar
> which takes a Unicode codepoint value and turns it into a string, e.g.:
>
> put "The value of" && numToUnicodeChar(0x3C0) && "is approximately 3.14"
> into tVar
>
> Alternatively, you could just paste the pi character into the string
> literal itself as scripts and the script editor will support direct
> entry of Unicode text. With this support, dealing with Unicode strings
> is no different from working with strings using the native 8-bit
> encodings like MacRoman and ISO-8859-1.
>
> Regards,
> Fraser

I just did this:

on mouseUp
    set the useUnicode to true
put numToChar(42001) into CH42001
    set the unicodeText of fld "OOT" to CH42001
end mouseUp

and everything worked perfectly alright,

I am aware that that is just a fancy way of doing this:

on mouseUp
    set the useUnicode to true
set the unicodeText of fld "OOT" to numToChar(42001)
end mouseUp

but

set the useUnicode to true
put numToChar(42001) into CH42001

converts a Unicode codepoint into a string without there being a need
for anything new at all.

Of course one can build up a long string (i.e. longer than a single
Unicode char) in an extremely obvious
way:

set the useUnicode to true
put numToChar(471) & numToChar(567) & numToChar(9925) into UNICODEstring

Richmond.