When is Unicode not Unicode?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 12:02:44 EST 2013

On 18/12/13 18:56, Devin Asay wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2013, at 5:00 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> On 12/17/13 5:48 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
>>> I have been trying to substitute Unicode characters in some text
>>> which contains some mathematical notation originated on a Mac (where
>>> several symbols like 'pi', 'less than or equals' etc are available as
>>> standard) so as to make the text look OK on a PC. Not to bore people
>>> with a lot of experimental data, but I find that a regular font on
>>> the PC (the default one that LiveCode chooses for example) doesn't
>>> seem to contain symbols like pi which I imagined could be shown using
>>> the LC Unicode operations.
>> At least for pi, greater-than-or-equal-to, less-than, etc. they aren't really unicode (they don't use 2 bytes.) On Mac they're in the extended ascii table; pi, for example, is number 184. You could find out what character number it is on Windows and use numToChar to insert it.
>>
>> Since they're such low numbers, comparatively speaking, I wouldn't think the font would matter. Unicode character numbers can be up in the thousands.
> Another technique that works really well cross platform is to use html entities. That way you don't have to do trial and error with numToChar.
>
>    set the htmlText of fld "foo" to "<p>My text with a π in it.</p>"
>
> See a complete list of math and Greek symbols at http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_symbols.asp.

I don't know what the 'HooHah' is about.

All currently available operating systems for which Livecode can produce
standalones are Unicode compliant,
as are a lot of operating systems in use since 2000 - I am currently
playing around with Unicode on Mac OS 9!

The plethora of Windows character mappings in use preUnicode is a minefield.

Richmond.