Up, Down and Sideways

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 05:43:04 EST 2013

So, there I am progging on my Virtual Mac 10.6.7 and I try a script like
this:

if shiftkey() is down and ctrlKey() is up then
       set the unicodeText of the selectedText to numToChar(MAGIC)
    end if
    if shiftkey() is up and ctrlKey() is down then
       set the unicodeText of the selectedText to numToChar(11744)
    end if
    if shiftkey() is up and ctrlKey() is up then
       set the unicodeText of the selectedText to numToChar(1073)
    end if

and bu**er me (that's a technical term) if, when I'm pressing the ctrlKey if
the IDE doesn't pick that up and I end up with numToChar(1073) rather
than numToChar(11744) - Aha, the Documentation seems to be telling
big, fat porkies again:

"Returns the state of the Control key." supposedly on Linux, Mac and Win.

So this leaves me in the Sh*t (another technical term) really, as,
unable to leverage
the altKey as a modifier on Linux, the ctrlKey on Mac (at least), I
don't seem to
have anything beyond the shiftKey and the capsLockKey (and that is a
problem because
of its stickiness) that are going to behave themselves cross-platform.

Just set me up in the 'right' sort of mood for Sunday; stroppy, petulant
and so forth.

Richmond.

P.S. 2 double cups of extra macho, highly sugared, black coffee; served
in a cup that states
'I heart coffee' on its outside.