Eureka... and this how you play a movie inside a stack on linux

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:06:53 EST 2013

Yes. VLC could play a movie inside a stack too, but it hangs
LiveCode after the movie finish playing...

Maybe there are some additional commands that prevents
that LiveCode hangs after playing the movie...

By the way, keyboard shortcuts works fine inside the
movie within the stack. You could play, pause, stop,
etc, etc, etc... :D

Just remember that LiveCode will hang after running this
shell command in the message box, so save all your work
before trying this:

1) Create a new mainstack

2) write in the message box:

put the windowid of topstack

This function returns a number like: 25166356

3) write in the message box:

shell("vlc -I dummy --drawable-xid 25166356 mymovie.mp4")

4) After VLC finish playing your movie, only LiveCode hangs
and you have to force quit the IDE. In Lubuntu, I just have
to close the main menu window and LiveCode quits...

Now we need a volunteer:

Who will go to the VLC forums and ask them:
Why the program hangs after playing the movie
using these commands?

Could be that we are using the wrong options to play
the movie within the stack window?

Which are the correct options to close the movie
after it finish playing?

Noticem please that using this option in VLC Linux:
--drawable-hwnd 25166356
Does NOT works at all. The error produced by VLC is:

vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--drawable-hwnd'
Try `vlc --help' for more information.

Have a nice weekend!

Al