Backdrop under Ubuntu Linux

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Dec 14 00:02:42 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 09:48 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Warren-
>
> Friday, December 13, 2013, 1:15:43 PM, you wrote:
>
>> ummmm... I should have tested a little more. Toggling desktop effects
>> off does allow LiveCode to display the backdrop in older versions of
>> LiveCode, through 6.1.3, on my system. It's only in 6.5.0 that there is
>> no backdrop even with effects off.
>
> Confirmed here with linux mint 14, with the added proviso that a black
> backdrop doesn't show up - apparently black maps to invisible, since
> the screen does flicker a bit when I toggle the backdrop on and off.
> And that's as in black backdrops don't work for me on linux in any
> version, not just since 6.5.

Curiouser and curiouser. I don't have any problem (pre 6.5) with black
backdrops here, so long as desktop effects are off. Investigating this,
though, reveals that the problem here is a little more complex than I
had realized. When running KDE with effects enabled, the black backdrop
is, as you suggest, "invisible", but other colors are displaying with
the sort of semi-transparent quality that Richard describes in his bug
report. I obviously had only ever tried it with black. And, the backdrop
is completely AWOL in LC 6.5 regardless of color or desktop effects.

Warren