Raspberry Pi

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Fri Dec 13 14:46:45 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm glad to see the RPi build is being received so enthusiastically.
It's a great wee device and LiveCode seems like such a great match for
its goals. Nothing at all to do with the fact that I love tinkering ;)

Richmond - I have some build instructions at
https://github.com/runrevfraser/livecode/blob/feature-rpi/docs/RPi.md
that cover setting up an emulator for the RPi. The notes are still
extremely rough so I'll summarise the procedure here for you:

1. Get Qemu with ARM support
2. Download a RPi Linux distro SD-card image (e.g. Raspbian)
3. The normal RPi kernel isn't suitable for Qemu so get this:
http://xecdesign.com/downloads/linux-qemu/kernel-qemu
4. Fire up Qemu with:

qemu-system-arm -kernel $QEMU_KERNEL -cpu arm1176 -m 512M -M versatilepb \
  -no-reboot -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda2" -hda $RASPIAN_IMG

I can't say off the top of my head whether Raspbian has all of the
libraries needed by LiveCode; some trial and error may be required. The
emulation isn't exactly the hardware of the RPi but seems a reasonable
enough match for everything to work.

Something else worth noting is that the installation image only comes
with the standalone files for Linux ARM; I didn't have time to roll
everything together in time for the newsletter to come out. I'll try to
track LiveCode releases fairly regularly but this is being done in
between other things and may not always be up to date.

Regards,
Fraser