Up, Down and Sideways

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 12 14:45:18 EST 2013

Richmond wrote:

> Obviously the Documentation needs to be changed:
>
> currently it states that altKey WILL detect the state of the Alt Key in
> Linux.

It does.  It's Gnome (IIRC), rather than Linux, that traps the Alt key,
and not even all Gnome-based distros do, nor all configs.  It depends on
the key bindings in place, which can potentially override any key. Or
none at all.

You're welcome to add a note in the User Comments section of that
Dictionary entry.

And of course if you feel strongly about it you can file a request to
have that elevated into the Dictionary proper, though to do that I'd
suggest finding an authoritative source outlining the specific use-cases
where it may apply.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World