Up, Down and Sideways

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 13:47:56 EST 2013

On 12/12/13 20:32, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> the Documentation states that:
>>
>> the altKey
>> altKey()
>>
>> "Returns the state of the Alt key."
>>
>> and that just doesn't seem to be happening [Linux].
>
> Many Linux window managers are (unnecessarily, IMNSHO) greedy with the
> Option/Alt key, using it to move windows and therefore not passing its
> state to the app.
>
> Yeah, annoying as all get out.  I'd love to have a beer or twelve with
> the Gnome folks who decided that was a smart thing to do.  I imagine
> that decision was made in a smoke house in Amsterdam, under the
> influence of some exotic hash too powerful for reason to survive.

Umm . . . certainly seems that way.

I am currently working on a project for some Professors who are having a
problem with Old Church Slavonic
(come to think of things, Old Church Slavonic is fairly problematic in
its own right).

Anyhow . . . each letter of the OCS alphabet has to exist in 3 states:

Upper Case
Lower Case  and
Combining

[if you have a problem understanding what 'combining' means; don't worry
- but it has nothing whatsoever
to do with Adge Cutler and the Wurzels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btEpF334Rtc ].

Therefore I need to lever 2 modifier keys (in an ideal world, ha, ha,
those would be the SHIFT and ALT keys)
on Windows, Macintosh and Linux.

Richmond.