[OT] Free Office suite for Linux and Windows

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 10:59:33 EST 2013

On 10/12/13 17:55, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> Where I take issue with Stallman is not with his theory of how the world
>> should be, and how copyright is, on the whole,
>> counter-creative; but in that by using the word "free" in the way he
>> does, people may be mislead into thinking he means "free"
>> in the way it is normally used by us naive realists.
>
> Except those who read dictionaries like this one, where the first
> several definitions of "free" relate to "freedom", and you have to
> scroll down to the middle of the page to find a 9th definition that
> discusses cost:
> <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/free>
>
> It's only a capitalist preoccupation that reduces everything to price.
>
> But really, none of this matters much, nor is it likely to change.
> Anyone listening to Stallman knows what he means, many don't listen to
> him at all,

The main trouble is that the man comes across as a "prophet thundering
in the wilderness"; and that can
put a lot of people off  what is, au fond, a good idea.

> and most lay people don't even know who he is, even though most people
> benefit from his work given the ubiquity of GNU Linux on most of the
> systems they use when they browse the Web, trade stocks, use a wifi
> router, and hundreds of other such cases every day.

I cannot help wondering why the GNU part of "GNU Linux" is there as GNU
is an endlessly delayed project that never seems to come to fruition.

Stallman rants on, but Linus Thorvalds did the most important part of
the work.

Richmond.