[OT] Free Office suite for Linux and Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 10 10:55:11 EST 2013

Richmond wrote:
> Where I take issue with Stallman is not with his theory of how the world
> should be, and how copyright is, on the whole,
> counter-creative; but in that by using the word "free" in the way he
> does, people may be mislead into thinking he means "free"
> in the way it is normally used by us naive realists.

Except those who read dictionaries like this one, where the first
several definitions of "free" relate to "freedom", and you have to
scroll down to the middle of the page to find a 9th definition that
discusses cost:
<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/free>

It's only a capitalist preoccupation that reduces everything to price.

But really, none of this matters much, nor is it likely to change.
Anyone listening to Stallman knows what he means, many don't listen to
him at all, and most lay people don't even know who he is, even though
most people benefit from his work given the ubiquity of GNU Linux on
most of the systems they use when they browse the Web, trade stocks, use
a wifi router, and hundreds of other such cases every day.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World