The encoding property

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 26 21:06:12 EDT 2013

Peter Haworth wrote:
> My goal is to get a list of the valid property names for each Livecode
> object (stack, card, field, etc)

I don't mean to sound pedantic, but serious question:  what is your goal
with that?

Sometimes in our imperfect world we find limitations in the engine, and
a hard-wired list can get the job done almost immediately, allowing us
to move on to other important tasks.

True, this would require maintenance as properties change, but in the
absence of any simple solution it may actually save time over trying to
find an automated solution.

Having built a few property inspectors over the years, I use a mix of
"the properties" of the selectedObject + a few hand-crafted things not
normally included there.  Sure, it's imperfect, but it let me get it
done. :)

But of course the usefulness of a manual solution will depend on how
it's used, hence my opening question.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World