OT - Re: Windows standalone puzzle

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Wed Aug 21 20:57:53 EDT 2013

Oh, golly. I work in broadcast (though not news.) ALL, and I mean
ALL, news, documentaries, etc., etc. 'erase' some of the truth
via editing, in what they decided to shoot and in what they never
bothered to film in the first place. Taking out flashes in a news
conference is the very LEAST of the 'erasing of truth' that goes
on. It is all biased in one way or another. It can't be helped --
we're humans. Even if we try to be absolutely unbiased, we are
riddled with culture, thought patterns, values that we cannot
keep out of our communication. I'm afraid you're not getting
'truth' via broadcasts -- your getting the broadcasters' (or
advertisers?) interpretation of the truth.

OK, off the soapbox....

My guess is that it is strictly a cost issue. Much cheaper just
to verbally warn people who have issues with flashing lights. Do
glitzy stuff like lines and graphics on a football field can
attract millions of football fans, nicely packaged up for the
advertisers. Worth the cost. Edit out the flashes, and gain a
handful of viewers who suffer from certain disease? Doesn't pay....

Also, taking out a random flash here and there is relatively easy
and would not noticeably affect the picture. However, say the
president grimaces -- every camera/flash in the place goes off,
giving you mostly flashes for a second or two. Taking those out
would do very noticeable 'damage' to the picture. Most viewers
will not notice a single dropped frame. But when you start
dropping 30 to 50% of the frames, they'll notice!

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan