PNG Image Optimization

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Aug 10 16:17:14 EDT 2013

This is a late response to your question, but in my experience, all of the
options you cite will usually work only if the colors of your source image
can comfortably fit within a range of 256 colors.  Images that are
primarily solid colors or have very complex patterns where dithering isn't
apparent are good candidates for reducing to 8 bit.  Photographic images
with wide ranges of color will often display visual artifacts when their
color is reduced to 8 bits, so the end result is not better than the
original.

FWIW, if you're working on OS X, you might consider ImageOptim
(http://imageoptim.com/) to optimize your PNG images.  It's an open source
collection of tools combined to batch optimize PNGs, and claims to reduce
images to PNG8 + alpha (same as the sites you mention) when possible.
Whether it's the best or not, I can't say, but I've noted substantial file
size savings using it.  It's slow with large images, so you'll have to
decide if the space saving is worthwhile in those cases.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design