Livecode Developer Certifications

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:50:51 EDT 2013

I recently solved http://projecteuler.net/problem=65. I won't post the
actual code, but I had to (re)write two bignum libraries, so I'll post them
here. Obviously these are being held back by the extensive use of items,
but still, bigTimes returns the product of two 200+ digit integers in under
a second:

function bigTimes x,y
   -- returns the product of two arbitrary-length integers
   if char 1 of x is "-" then
      put "-" into leadChar
      delete char 1 of x
   end if
   if char 1 of y is "-"  then
      if leadChar is "-" then put empty into leadChar else put "-" into
leadChar
      delete char 1 of y
   end if
   repeat length(x) + length(y)
      put comma after R
   end repeat
   repeat with i = -1 down to -1 * length(y)
      repeat with j = -1 down to -1 * length(x)
         add char i of y * char j of x to item i + j + 1 of R
      end repeat
   end repeat
   put 0 into i
   repeat
      subtract 1 from i
      if item i of R is empty then exit repeat
      if item i of R < 10 then next repeat
      add item i of R div 10 to item i - 1 of R
      put item i of R mod 10 into item i of R
   end repeat
   replace comma with empty in R
   return leadChar & R
end bigTimes

function bigPlus x,y
   -- returns the sum of two arbitrary-length positive integers
   repeat max(length(x),length(y))
      put comma after R
   end repeat
   put space after R
   repeat with i = -1 down to -1 * max(length(x),length(y))
      put char i of y + char i of x into item i of R
   end repeat
   put 0 into i
   repeat
      subtract 1 from i
      if item i of R is empty then exit repeat
      if item i of R < 10 then next repeat
      add item i of R div 10 to item i - 1 of R
      put item i of R mod 10 into item i of R
   end repeat
   replace comma with empty in R
   return R