An SQL query to return an UPDATE for the results?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:49:10 EDT 2013

With an SQLite database in memory, and a "real" database either on
machine or remote, I need to sync the two.

I'm trying to find a clever & fast way to create a SELECT query that
produces the corresponding UPDATE query.

I can do something like "SELECT " & 'UPDATE sometable SET col1=''" &
col1 & "'' WHERE key=''" & keyval & "'';" WHERE key =' & keyval & "';"

to return
  UPDATE sometable SET col1='thevalue' WHERE key='keyval';

but this doesn't accommodate NULL values, which would come back as
empty but need to become NULL rather than ''

I suppose I could do a
   replace "''" with "NULL" in myQuery      --for null strings
   replace ",," with ",NULL,"  in myQuery   --for null numbers

(and,f or that matter, null strings don't matter much.

Am I on to something, or am I missing something big here?

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462