Strange compile error

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Thu Apr 25 15:15:32 EDT 2013

Pete,

As you said.... Shouldn't this be
something that's checked at run time rather than compile time?

I ran into this similar situation.

put "W" & Index into pName  -- Just the control name

create field pName in group "pubs" -- Create the control in group. The pName
var can't contain "field blah" and then do a (create pName in group "pubs")

put "field W" & Index into pName -- Now you can set various properties
without using the "field" keyword

set the fixedlineheight of pName to false
set the backgroundcolor of pName to "white"
set the borderwidth of pName to 1
set the showborder of  pName to false

The compiler will flag the following as an error:

create pName in group "pubs"

compilation error at line 240 (create: no alias or directory name supplied)
near "pName", char 7

Maybe the dreaded "Do" is a way around this?

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net