[OT] DreamHost VPS

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 22 14:15:37 EDT 2013

Marty Knapp wrote:
> So I'm thinking of getting a VPS at DreamHost for my commercial sites.
> However, I have no experience configuring a server. I asked DreamHost
> about this and they said that "pretty much" I won't need to worry about
> it, that they're there to help.
>
> The idea of a VPS sounds good to me - unaffected by other domain's
> blacklisting problems, performance hits, etc. I need excellent up time
> and fast tech support.
>
> A number of you have recommended DreamHost and in looking at them I
> think they look like a good choice. The big question for me is shared vs
> VPS, taking into account that I have no experience setting
> up/maintaining a server. I won't be doing anything unusual. At some
> point I'd like to tinker with LC Server but am not currently using it.
>
> Any input for me?

I've had a shared hosting account with Dreamhost for many years, and
generally like it but they're current migration to the XFS file system
with 64-bit inodes is an issue with LiveCode Server.

A fix has been identified at RunRev, but I don't know when it will be
released.  In the meantime, using "put url" to write a file or obtaining
a list of files with "the files" are among things that depend on inode
information, and will fail on DH servers that have been upgraded (as all
are expected to over the coming months).

With VPS, I prefer more control than the managed systems at DH, and have
found a smaller company with scalable pricing that start at $6/mo:
<http://www.interserver.net/vps/home.php>

You get to pick from 12 distros (I choose Ubuntu Server, of course,
'cause I'm a fanboy that way <g>), and you have control over nearly
every aspect of the system.

My VPS and shared hosting options with Interserver have been tested to
show they're using a file system with 32-bit inodes, so the current
version of LiveCode Server runs well on both types of accounts there.

And being a smaller company than DH, while I generally get support
replied from DH in under 24 hours with InterServer it's rarely longer
than an hour.  Sometimes it's nice to have hungrier vendors. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World