Call for Scientists using LiveCode

David Bovill david at scimatch.org
Mon Apr 22 04:21:19 EDT 2013

Thanks for the input Francois:

On 21 April 2013 23:20, François Chaplais <
francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr> wrote:

> IMHO, a good syntax would features some syntax shortcuts of Matlab, which
> are very handy.
> For instance [1:n] is a vector of integers from one to one.

I'll have to look into MatLab more seriously (I've never used the software
myself). At this stage I'd be particularly interested in understanding the
range of applications - the sort of areas that a lot of scientists need
programming for.

> We can discuss off list if you are interested.
> BTW, I am due to publish a Matlab primer on the web for my students better
> sooner than later.

It's fascinating to see that even in science, programming is simply not
taught. I studied medicine / practised and biochemistry for 10 years - and
understandably we were not taught programming (except for a voluntary
course in secondary school). What does amaze me is nothing has changed.
I've been having a lot of discussions with biochemists, and molecular
modellers - no training or courses in most cases (minimal in others). You
can get courses in PhotoShop.

I wander where the greatest opportunity to democratise programming in
science lies...