[OT] DreamHost VPS

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Mon Apr 22 13:14:44 EDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Marty Knapp <martyknappster at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm thinking of getting a VPS at DreamHost for my commercial sites. However, I have no experience configuring a server. I asked DreamHost about this and they said that "pretty much" I won't need to worry about it, that they're there to help.
>
> The idea of a VPS sounds good to me - unaffected by other domain's blacklisting problems, performance hits, etc. I need excellent up time and fast tech support.
>
> A number of you have recommended DreamHost and in looking at them I think they look like a good choice. The big question for me is shared vs VPS, taking into account that I have no experience setting up/maintaining a server. I won't be doing anything unusual. At some point I'd like to tinker with LC Server but am not currently using it.
>
> Any input for me?

DreamHost, Jaguar PC, Blue Host are all about the same in terms of performance, ease of set up, and ease of maintenance.  They are great for your typical website needs.  I have been following the complaints regarding the up-time on the RunRev servers.  You will find nothing like this with the above listed hosts.  Shared accounts work pretty well.

Should you needs increase for more complex sites and more control over the details, you might outgrow a shared site.  VPS sites do offer the ultimate control, but come with a higher learning curve.  They are in some ways can be a step back in productivity unless you really master the details of servers.  Lower VPS plans come with less hard drive space and bandwidth than shared plans.  You can quickly exceed CPU capabilities and memory if you run PHP scripts on the server.

My ultimate favorite shared host is MediaTemple.net.  They have a grid technology that is truly amazing.  If you file share data, you will find no faster hosting for the price.  It costs a bit more than the bargain shared plans.  I think it is worth it if your needs lean in that direction.

I would start with a shared plan somewhere and go from there.  We have accounts at all of the above.  I am happy with each.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
canelasoftware.com