Call for Scientists using LiveCode

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Sun Apr 21 18:20:12 EDT 2013

Le 21 avr. 2013 à 17:22, David Bovill a écrit :

> Looking into this a bit further I am wandering how many other core open
> source scientific libraries are out there that would create real scientific
> value if we could fund porting them to LiveCode - either as externals or
> integrated directly into the engine or as a forked project? Would be great
> to create a list of these.
>
> The proposed project involves the creation of a number of domain specific
> languages in science, in order to make it easier for scientist to
> incorporate programming into their work. The open language framework that
> is to be added to LiveCode following the KickStarter would be the basis for
> this.
>
> So does anyone have any ideas on how to create easy to use syntax for
> scientists, by wrapping opne language modules around existing science
> libraries - like BLAS?

IMHO, a good syntax would features some syntax shortcuts of Matlab, which are very handy.
For instance [1:n] is a vector of integers from one to one.
if V is a vector and I a vector of integers, V(I) returs the V(i) for all the indices i that belong to I.
There is a left and right division operator for matrices (which works for rectangular matrices by solving the adequate least squares problem).
Etc...
We can discuss off list if you are interested.
BTW, I am due to publish a Matlab primer on the web for my students better sooner than later.

Context for this is in an answer to one of your post in another thread.
Best
	François