Get path

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 13:18:35 EDT 2013

Normally a standalone's default path is where the end-user puts s/his
standalone in the files structure of s/his operating system (or, it was
last time I looked) . . .

HOWEVER . . . imagine an end-user, who I shall call "Bloody-minded
Johnny", who, for various
odd reasons keeps moving his standalone around.

Now, if Bloody-minded Johnny uses the standalone, which then stores some
preference file in his
default location, and the BMJ moves his standalone, how can the
standalone load his prefs file
the next time he uses it?

To make this possible the standalone has to find out the first location
where it is parked and store that
path in some non-volatile fashion so that when BMJ has moved it to
location #2, it can relocate the files it stored at location #1, and so on.

Now it is all very jolly for a standalone to do this sort of thing:

put the filePath of file "SavedNonsense.rtf" into fld "Route66"

BUT, when the standalone quits fld "Route66" will be emptied, so no joy
next time the standalone is opened.

NOW, maybe I'm being a bit thick (nothing new), but I cannot for the
life of me know where
I should store a filePath as if it is stored in the default location the
same problem would arise
as the one it is meant to solve.

NOW, a while back, while my attention was elsewhere (!!!!) I seem
vaguely to recall a similar discussion as to where to store information
in such as way that it would move with a standalone.

Oh, and by the way; some very welcome news to all the Linux-Heads out
and about; the LC OSS release seems to have sorted out the problem where
using the Dictionary crashed the thing

[ UbuntuStudio 13.04 ]

would be grateful if all the Linux-Heads could give it a whirl and see
if I am right.