Is it just me, again?

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 18:40:56 EDT 2013

Hi Pete,

Here's how it can work for you. If you create your lcStackBrowser with the commercial version of LiveCode and simply assert your copyright (e.g. include a copyright notice) and sell it, without password protection to both commercial and community users then everything is fine. The defaults work in your favour here.

You should have a license agreement that explicitly tells people what they can and can't do with it in simple English to avoid any confusion on the part of users in the new open source world. e.g. You can use this with X & Y versions of LiveCode to help you create applications. You may not copy any part of this for use in your own applications, nor distribute copies of it to other people.

Because you aren't distributing your plugin with LiveCode Community Edition itself you have no need to provide a version under a GPL compatible license. Other people can use it with Community Edition on their own computers without violating the GPL. In fact, the very last thing you want to do (unless you plan to start giving the software away) is dual license, since commercial users could use a free GPL version without paying for it for the same reason.

In terms of retaining your IP - unless you have any patents on the software, the GPL has no effect here anyway. You still own the copyright even if you license something under the GPL. The thing is, the GPL gives other people a license to distribute your software (paid for or free) to anyone else they like, as long as they also do so under the GPL, which is why you don't want to use it in this case.

Hope that made sense.

Mark