Naive Question #108: Passwording stacks.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 14:47:37 EDT 2013

On 04/13/2013 09:21 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 4/13/13 2:53 AM, Richmond wrote:
>>
>> I know how to password a stack that is going to be rolled into a
>> standalone,
>>
>> BUT, I don't know how to password a stack that is going to stay a stack
>> rather than be rolled into a standalone.
>
> It's simple, but we will only tell you if you agree that the free
> version of LC shouldn't include the algorithm that would allow anyone
> to crack your password. ;)
>
> "set the password of this stack to 'foo'"

I am not interested in passwording OSS stacks, but I would like to
password substacks of my commercial stuff before I send it along to Beta
testers.

AND, presumably, if I "do the foo" with LC OSS it will have no result ???

Ah, just tried this:  set the password of stack "BANANA" to "poo"

and got this" Script compile error:
                      Error description: seek: missing 'in'

the same with single quotes (as per your example

a button on the stack itself with this script:

on mouseUp
    set the password of this stack to "poo"
end mouseUp

yielded this:

button "Button": execution error at line n/a (Object: can't set this
property)

so, obviously, the good folk in Edinburgh did their work vis-a-vis
stopping password
protection in LC OSS properly!

doing the same sort of thing in the commercial version did not throw up
those
error messages.

So, J. Landman Gay,  your comment was redundant.

However, I suppose some crafty soul could write a new algorithm for
passwording and build it into a fork: but 't'won't be me :)

However, unless that crafty person breaks the licence, the passwording
will be a waste of time as the algorithm will be there for all to see in
the source code.

Richmond.