Community version download

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 12 01:53:17 EDT 2013

Monte Goulding wrote
> ....Yes, that bit's just asking for someone to fork the IDE, not sure why
> RunRev haven't based this login around a service like revonline but
> luckily I don't need to make these decisions. If it were me I'd quickly
> change it to Login to revOnline or skip... then make the services the
> login is for more compelling.

This is indeed a very odd choice - its the only OSS package I have ever come
across that requires product activation in this way, and it really is asking
for a fork of the IDE.  One can see the motivation.  But the competition in
this space is surely Python, and that is free as in air....  Its living a
bit dangerously.  Forking is one of the main reefs out there in this
particular ocean.

The inability to use protected plug-ins is an interesting and quite
significant feature.  Presumably the reason is that there is an ability to
incorporate them or some of them into programs one has written which would
have to be released under GPL, but the plug-ins would be incompatible with
it?

Peter