Open Livecode Login

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:38:36 EDT 2013

On 12/04/13 00:38, David C. wrote:
> Richmond, did you possibly overlook my earlier message from the release
> notes that state:
>
> "Alternatively it is possible to activate the product via the use of a
> specially encrypted license file.
> These will be available for download from the customer center after logging
> into your account. This
> method will allow the product to be installed on machines that do not have
> access to the internet."
>
> ...all you need to do is download the file one time and use it with however
> many machines you wish, with or without an internet connection. Seems
> pretty simple from my end...

It is dead simple, but that is not the point, and anybody who has done
any reading
and thinking about what constitutes Open Source software will be aware that
the point is about freedom, pace Hairy Stallman et al.

Once we drag in online registration and licenses I get a funny feeling
that that maybe
the thin end of a wedge which begins to push us away from the concept of
Open Source software.

> Regards,
> David C.

This is the first time I have encountered Open Source software that require
any sort of licence . . .

. . . and the things that make me feel a bit queasy are these:

1. Tracking by RunRev.

2. If I make a fork / mod its distribution could also be tracked.

Not, I hesitate to add, that I have all that much to hide, but this begins
to look like the British government's surveillance of everybody and the
excuse that as we have nothing to hide we shouldn't protest against
blatant violations of privacy.

3. "specially encrypted license file"; why on earth is that necessary?

Doesn't seem necessary with either GIMP or FONTFORGE, my 2 favourite
Open Source weapons of choice.

Richmond.