Win ico sizes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 7 23:41:10 EDT 2013

Stephen Barncard wrote:

 > I use icon composer that comes with Xcode to convert images to the
 > icn format.... or are you referring to a pixel by pixel artwork tool?

The Mac side on this is easy.  The problem I'm having is specific to
Windows.

Apparently, as with the transition from Win98 to XP, the LC engine now
assigns slots to a wider range of specific sizes, and if they're not
present it doesn't just ignore them (which would cause Win7 to simply
scale up the next available size), but writes empty or NULL into the
slots so that Win7 tries to use them - and failing, it renders the
generic app icon instead.

So I need to fill in the slots the engine now writes into the file, and
am hoping to find the required size list.  So far, searching the User
Guide has turned up nothing.

God help me if I have to rely on MSDN.  It's search engine is in a
neck-and-neck contest with the one driving the Apple App Store to see
which can earn the title of Most Frustrating to Users Actually Looking
For Specific Things. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems