Do we have to care about Windows RT?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 5 09:59:52 EDT 2013

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
> my knowledge about Windows RT is still very small. As far as I have
> understood it so far you only can run Apps from the Windows Store on RT and
> so we don't have to care about it from the LiveCode side so far.
>
> What I would like to know, is it possible, that a customer could (try to)
> install standard windows software (not from the windows store) by cracking
> /routing on a RT system so that I could run into unwanted support cases for
> my software? Or is this approach safely blocked by the RT system?
>
> What systemversion would RT have? Is it at all a part of the known windows
> family?

The current LiveCode engine for Windows cannot run on WinRT because LC
is compiled for x8 while RT runs on ARM.

That said, RunRev's announcement that they're making an ARM compile of
their Linux engine (for Raspberry Pi and other uses) bodes well for the
possibility of WinRT support down the road.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World