More weirdness

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Sep 27 21:18:38 EDT 2012

This is not a new one, but my latest problem has to do with code that
doesn't appear to get executed unless there is a breakpoint in the code.

In the past, this happened in preOpenxxx handlers and the consensus was
that it was a timing issue of some sort. Now I'm getting it in a mouseUp
button script.

The code in question simply loads lines into a scrolling list based on the
mainstacks that are open at the time.

When I run the stack toplevel, all works fine.

When I run the stack as a plugin without the breakpoint, the scrolling list
field is not populated, no runtime error, no indication of any error of any
sort. With the breakpoint, everything works perfectly.  I can even replace
the breakpoint with a put command to display something in the message box
and that makes it work also.

But even that's not the weird part.  Once I have made the thing work using
a breakpoint or a put, I can take that code out and all works fine!!!!  At
least in the current run of the stack. Restarting LC and loading the plugin
again takes me back to the non-working scenario.

So now I'm stuck in a situation where It is impossible to debug this
problem, yet I need to get this working.

I hope he long time Livecode advocates on the list will have to forgive me
when I say that this sort of thing makes me question how much I would want
to rely on LC for critical projects.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>