Checking if file exists in a Windows system directory

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Sep 24 18:02:38 EDT 2012

There can be. First, if the enclosing folder does not have at least read permission, you will see nothing in the folder. Also, even under XP, certain folders contents were hidden, even to an administrator, until you told Windows you did in fact want to see the files in that folder. (Silly I know. What admin is going to decline to see the files in a folder he is trying to open??)

Then there are more granular permissions, like list folder / read data, traverse folder / execute file, read attributes, read extended attributes, etc. Most of these are not generally used or altered from the norm, but far be it from me to assume anything about your environment.

Bob