Show/hide problem more information

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Sep 20 17:20:58 EDT 2012

On 9/20/12 2:40 PM, lunchnmeets wrote:
> Hi Again.
>
> Thanks for your patience on this issue. There's obviously something
> wrong with "Show" and "Hide". Now I've gone through several scripts.
> Every time the script encounters a show or hide it executes that and
> then nothing that follows is done.

When that happens, the problem isn't with the command that executes,
it's in the line that immediately follows. Something right after that is
causing an error and aborting the rest of the script.

> Every time I use the inspector it wants me to save it.

I saw that occasionally in an older version. The IDE was opening the
inspector as top-level. Usually restarting LiveCode fixed it. I haven't
seen it in a while so maybe it got fixed.

> In the version I was using when I opened a stack it automatically
> opened the liveCard app. It also put the bar across the top that
> started with "Inspector". Even though I've been using liveCode for a
> while I don't know what that is called. Now I have to open the app
> first and then the stack. I probably need a line in my startup
> routine to address that.

That's the toolbar. There's something in your scripts that is either
blocking or hiding the toolbar. If it happens again you can restore it
from the View menu; choose Toolbar Icons and/or Toolbar Text.

User stacks should not be getting a startup message in the IDE. If you
have a startup handler and it runs when you open your stack, then you
should start the IDE first so it can load before your stack does. When
you do that, your own stack will not get a startup message. The solution
is to move the startup instructions to a preOpenStack handler located on
the first card. It will work identically and you'll avoid these issues.

Some of the other problems you're having may be fixed by not using a
startup handler too. If the IDE isn't loading completely then who knows
what could be failing.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com