[OT] EULA and legality

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Sun Sep 9 14:45:03 EDT 2012

We all know companies make the T's & C's to suit themselves as much as
possible, giving as little as possible while gaining as much as possible.

I feel that EULAs, copyright and patent laws have gone well beyond too
far. They have gone so far that corporations are far more important than
people, than facts, than truth (not capitalised).  Their lawyers rewrite
history, twist laws, and jeopardise markets.

They are morally indefensible in this day where we must use technology
to get things done.

Personally, I don't pay too awful much attention to EULAs. I prefer
common sense. Personal use, don't destroy other's businesses.  I do wish
others felt the same way.

The thing that worries me the most here is that when every new medium
came along (printed sheet music, player pianos, radio, TV, cassette
tapes, fax machines, telephones, computers, internet) the entrenched
media moguls have railed against the tech, and tried to protect their world.

Every time before this, they've been utterly defeated by reality and
common sense.

This time, I'm afraid they're winning.  Closed shops, licensed software,
UEFI limited hardware, hardware you can't open, copyright extended
beyond all reason, IP used as a weapon of business.

Pretty soon we'll all have to pay Apple royalty for breathing iAir.

Feh.

I think the only thing keeping the corporates honest is Linux in all its
forms.  Without Linux, there'd be no Android and Apple would well and
truly own the tech world. *shiver*

Once Linux is killed off, I'm going to start growing turnips.

-Ken