pirate version of my book...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:20:08 EDT 2012

On 09/02/2012 10:17 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
> <snip>
>
> My son's behavior gives me pain.

That's what children are for; to cause their parents pain.

> Meanwhile, maybe we should zoom out and look at the bigger picture. About sixteen percent of the world's population consumes 80% of its resources. This is not exactly fair, either. Are we all pirates, squabbling among ourselves for a "fair" share of the loot? Maybe "fair" is an illusion, often self-serving.

'Fair' is fairly unfair. However the open-source movement exists for
those who cannot pay.

The simple fact is that thousands of programmers (squeaky Stallman among
them) have given
a lot of their time and effort to provide an alternative to expensive
software.

I have, in front of me, 2 computers that I paid about 100 Euros (for the
2 of them), a flat screen
monitor I paid 100 Euros for, and another flat-screen monitor I
inherited from an aunty who died.
One is my main Linux work-horse, the other is my faux-Mac, running Mac
OS 10.6.8 inside
VMplayer. I don't feel that "all you rich types out there" have somehow
cheated me, nor do I feel
hard done by in that my 2 machines are 2-4 years "out-of-date".

I cannot afford Windows and the expensive virus-fuelled consequences of
using it, nor can I afford Adobe programmes . . . (admittedly I don't
like Windows very much anyway) . . .

So Ubuntu, GIMP and Inkscape are there for the likes of me, as are
Audacity, Fontforge and so forth.

There really is no reason to steal software nowadays as there are a vast
number of alternatives
to Commercial software.

I cannot afford a new Macintosh computer, but a while back I was able to
buy an install disk of Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) so now I can run it in
VMplayer on a Linux box - using, with the sole exception
of RunRev Livecode, open source software.

What is bad (quite apart from the moral problems associated with crap
like border and immigration
controls) is that Microsoft have so successfully got a grip on people's
minds that they would far
rather run pirate Windows, pirate Microsoft Office, pirate Photoshop, et
al, than go for the
Open Source & Free alternatives.

To a certain extent, until Microsoft stop shoving their product down
people's throats in quite
such a full-on fashion, while not condoning piracy, I find myself not
really caring about the fact
that a fat percentage of the world is merrily steaming along on pirate
Microsoft and Adobe products;
and, as they already make buckets of money from legitimate sales, I
really wonder how much it fusses them.

However, as we are all aware, stealing from a giant can lead to stealing
from smaller people; and
it is the smaller people who suffer more. I don't have a lawyer to push
through thumping great
legal cases when my stuff gets nicked!