[OT] New ChromeBook

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 29 14:50:20 EDT 2012

not yet, but going to.  I will let you know how it goes.  I am planning a
corporate deployment, but I might do the chromeBox instead just because of
specs on the new chromebooks.  The only other option for the kind of sweet
spot that this fills is making a liveCD and having diskless workstations.

For the folks who make fun of it, there are some reasons to use this sort
of solution:
1) you can airgap your email and browsing from the rest of your network and
worry much much less about PEBKAC/EBSAC.  Does that mean you need two
screens, keyboards, networks?  Yep.  How many of your users don't already
have two screens?  Is one of those screens pretty much always in a browser
or email client anyway?  I get that the extra keyboard and trackpad are
annoying, but that's part of the reason why I'm planning to try this - so I
can see what happens.
2) your finance department is much less likely to suffer an ugly hack that
compromises your bank accounts.  Yes, the liveCD is the ideal solution for
this, but the Chrome device is still much, much better than a traditional
PC.
3) If your organization is already primarily in the cloud, why do you need
a traditional computer for those tasks?

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."