[OT] Apple shrinks

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:04:31 EDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 01:22 PM, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> When it came to choosing a tablet earlier this year, I could not see myself
> using something in the original iPad form-factor - it just felt too
> uncomfortable in my hand.  I went for a 7" HTC Android tablet.
>
> The 7" form-factor is like going back to the good old days of the Apple
> Newton.  Only the thinness of modern tablets is much to be desired compared
> to the chunkiness of the Newton!

Ahah!

So; while the iPad is a tablet computer, I suppose the iPad mini (trying
to be cutesy with the
lower case M) is a PDA.

But . . .  "Every inch an iPad"

which, if you think about it, is not strictly true: it's a shrunken iPad.

And, as such, should be seen as a PDA rather than a tablet computer.

The only problem is that PDAs tend to have some sort of physical
keyboard you can tap with a stylus or pencil, and the iPad mini will
have about 2-3 letters under my fat fingers on its virtual keyboard, and
it is unlikely that its screen is going to take nicely to being tapped
with a sharp pencil.

Sorry to be negative, but the iPad mini looks like something for Paris
Hilton and all the other
posers, and not much else.